The cold chain
Observance of the cold chain during the transportation phase is an issue to be taken seriously.
Observance of the cold chain concerns all parties involved in the food chain. From production to consumption, refrigerated and frozen foodstuffs need to be continuously stored at the correct temperature. This is what is known as the cold chain.
- Makro suppliers must monitor the conditions under which products are produced and transported.
- Makro selects its logistics providers (platforms and carriers), which are obliged to apply at all times the correct temperature.
- Makro conducts systematic audits upon delivery of goods and checks temperatures at each of its warehouses. They are regularly audited by an independent laboratory.
The Makro cold chain
The "transport" regulation (decree dated 20 July 1998)
- Applies to all professionals.
- Ensures the safest food products possible for the consumer.
- Reduces the incidence of food poisoning.
- Thanks to appropriate means of transport which keep products at the right temperature.
It is your responsibility to comply with regulations when transporting products from your Makro store to your premises!
Official service will audit
- Restaurateurs and craftsmen with little or no equipment for transporting products at the correct temperature.
- Frequent use of vans or ordinary motor vehicles, to transport fresh or frozen products sometimes over great distances.
Various violations have been noted, resulting in reminders of regulations and affidavits of seizure, destruction of goods and fines as well.